2018. június 18., hétfő

Kegyetlen az Isten?

Próbáltam magyarul írni, de most csak angolul folyt a szöveg, tehát: nyelvtanulóknak -


Isn’t God cruel to gay people? He makes them gay then tells them they either have to be celibate or marry someone they are not attracted to.

I am convinced that God is not cruel. Christians can be sometimes, but they will have to answer to God for that.

I am convinced that God did not make me gay (that will have to be material for another post), but “disorders” happen because we are fallen creatures living in a fallen world. That is why there is sin, disease, natural disasters and all kinds of suffering in the world. These are direct consequences of man’s sin, God did not design stuff this way.

God has given us various commandments, including those to abstain from various kinds of sin, like homosexual sex, for instance. I, however, would like to indulge in gay sex, because it feels right and good and loving, and so on.

So is God unfair to me, or cruel, or just wanting to spoil my fun?

I think it comes back to how I see God, based on what he has revealed in his word.

The Bible tells me that God is good (Mark 10:18), God is love (I.John 4:8) and that his law is perfect (Romans 7:12). I can conclude from this that he would not command me to do anything or abstain from anything which would cause me hurt or harm, but he always has something better for me than the thing that is forbidden.

It also comes back to what it means to be a Christian. Almost 40 years ago I decided that I wanted to take Jesus seriously. I have tried to understand what that means and how it works. If I believe in Jesus I have eternal life (I.John 5:13). I have been saved by grace through faith (Ephesians 2:8). I have also been redeemed, ransomed (Mark 10:45). So what does this mean?

The “faith” that I am saved by in the original NT Greek language is πἱστις – pistis. This involves believing certain facts, but it also means trust in a person, as well as faithfulness to that person. If I trust in Jesus, then I believe the things I have listed above, that he is good, loving, positively inclined towards me and wants the best for me. I believe that if he tells me not to do something then there is a very good reason for that, and I should trust that he knows what he is talking about because he is the creator, and I may well not know better than he does, because I am only a creature.


Redemption is a term which refers to the slave markets of the ancient world. I was a slave to sin, but God paid the price, the blood of Jesus, to buy me out of there. But that means I am now his slave, because he bought me. That means he is the boss and not me. He has every right to tell me what to do and expect me to do it, and he does not have to offer any explanations or reasons for his decisions. “You are not your own, you were bought with a price”, says the Apostle Paul (I.Cor. 6:19-20), interestingly enough, in the same chapter which condemns homosexual acts (v. 9).

Many people nowadays seem to want to be Christians, and have eternal life, but on their own terms and not God’s. I am sure it is no coincidence that Jesus said, “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord’, and do not do what I tell you?” (Luke 6:46).

I choose to believe that God knows best, he knows what he is talking about and there are reasons, good, loving reasons, for why he says what he does. I trust him, even if I do not understand everything. And that gives me peace.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése